You should complete and revise this plan for Thursday 9th November.
Discuss the thematic effectiveness of the use of setting in ‘Jane Eyre’, with specific reference to Gateshead and Lowood.
- Plan a response to the above question.
- You will write this under full exam conditions during Thursday’s double period.
Areas to consider:
- social inequality
- hypocrisy of religion and religious fervour
- gender hierarchies
- the roles Mrs Reed/Helen Burns/Mr Brocklehurst play in this part of the novel
- symbolism of both the red room and Helen Burns